Memphis History 1927 - 1935
Click on the thumpnail for a larger picture

Memphis-History from   1500-1800   1800-1835    1836-1849    1850-1869    1870-1899   1900-1915   1916-1925 
1926-1935   1936-1949   1950-1954   1955-1959   1960-1964   1965-1969   1970-1977 
 and   After 1977
See also 
Memphis: Things to Do  -   Facts about Memphis  

1937 The Mississippi River Great Flood devastates huge area; thousands of homeless brought to Memphis.    
Firestone Tire and Rubber starts till 1983.
and a advertisement Goldsmith's An Icebox
1938 TV A power becomes available to Memphis.      Goodwyn Institute at Madison Avenue.
1939 City purchases the local utility company and renames it Memphis Light, Gas & Water Division.
The Grand Ole Opry is first heard on network radio. Memphis
        Confederate park The Cotton exchange building


Luciann opened in 1939 and closed in 1958, later it became the Paris Adult Theatre. In 1966 it was turned into a night club.
1940 Population 292.942. B.B. King performs for the first time on Bealestreet, Memphis.
Edward H. Crump becomes mayor only in 1940, also Joseph Patrick Boyle. Walter Chandler becomes mayor till 1946.
In 1940, Malco Theatres purchased the Orpheum Theatre, and renamed it The Malco. This opulent movie palace at 89 Beale Street also became the base of operations for Malco Theatres until 1976. The Malco began operations on April 20, 1940, with its first film "It's a Date". The premiere gala was sponsored by the Nineteenth Century Club.
Hollywood Theatre
at 2469 Chelsea opened 1940, demolished 2005. The Memphis Police accident-investigation.
Park Theatre
at 3527 Park Avenue opened 1940 and is demolished, there is a Walgreens now on its site.
1941 Memphis selected as site for Kennedy General Hospital, a multi-million dollar institution that will grow to 3000 beds. International Harvester locates plant.
Value of Mid-South cotton crop doubles its 1940 price. Memphis Airport
and Memphis Riversite.
The Mason Temple
built in 1941, during World War II. The Temple was the largest church building owned by a black religious denomination in the United States at its completion. Ther building was namend for bishop Charles Harrison Mason, founder of the Curch of God in Christ. It was the location of Martin Luther King Jr's famous 'I've Been to the Mountainop' speech on April 3, 1968, one day before his assassination.
1942 Memphis Cotton donkeys. Airways Theater opened in 1942 en closed in 1980.
 New Daisy Theater opened in 1942 at 330 Bealestreet. across the street of the Daisy Theatre.
1943 The Army now defense' depot, the Mallory Air Force depot built.
1944 War economy continues to boom, creating critical housing shortage.
Volney, the lion who roared at the beginning of all the old MGM movies, lived at the old Carnivora building at the Memphis Zoo until his death in 1944.
1945 Construction of fourlane Memphis to Arkansas bridge begins.
1946 Joseph Patrick Boyle becomes mayor only in 1946. Sylvanus W. Polk Sr. becomes mayor till 1947.
December 31, Combat and trainer airplanes at Naval airport Memphis.
Bealestreet 1946
1947 James J. Pleasant Jr. becomes mayor till 1949 and Miss Memphis Barbara Jo Walker becomes Miss America. Memphis Bus transportation
W.C.Handy Theater at 2353 Park Avenue opened in 1947 and closed in 1955.

Ampro is an ethic
hair care and cosmetics company founded in 1947. Its product lines include a wide range of styling and treatment products, specially formulated for ethnic consumers including, gels, shampoos, conditioners and polishers. The company’s original product line, PRO STYL gel, continues to be the number-one selling styling gel in the country. Ampro's 20 current brand names include Pro Styl andClear Ice. The company's products are sold through conventional channels (including health and beauty retailers such asWal-Mart, Walgreen's, Dollar General, SallyBeauty Supply, Kroger, Eckerd, Fred's and Rite-Aid ) as well as through a large network of individually owned regional beauty supply stores. The company's history began in 1947. Irvin Lansky, owned a dry goods store on Beale Street, and began to sell ethnic hair care products. Immediately seeing the potential in the lines, Lansky formed Vogue Distributing Company, a beauty supply product wholesaler. Lansky then expanded the enterprise with a Memphis retail location called Vogue Beauty and Barber Mart, and it was here that he began manufacturing his own ethnic hair care products. He developed a line called "Ampro," short for American Products, which is still manufactured today.[4] Ampro Industries' current manufacturing facility is a few miles away from the original shop on Beale Street in Memphis.
The first Fred's store openend in 1947 and operates 639 stores and 300 pharmacies in 15 states. It is headquartered in Memphis.
1948 Elvis Presley, the King of Rock 'n' Roll, made Memphis his home after his family moved to the city from Tupelo, Mississippi in 1948.
The Presley's will live on Washington street 370. 
WMCT-TV in Memphis is the state's first television station. State elections turn against the control of Memphis political boss E.H. Crump.
WDIA
becomes the nation's first radio station to adopt an all-black format. Construction on the Memphis Harbor project begins.
1949 New Bridge opens.     Watkins Overton becomes mayor till 1953.
May 14, The Presley `s move from Washington street to the Poplar avenue.
September, the Presley `s move now to two-room house, existing from a kitchen and live/sleep room. The house is the ground of the apartment block-system, committed on the Winchester street 185. The Presley `s live on no. 328. The building  has been confessed better as Lauderdale Courts.
 

  Elvis Presley Pedia - www.elvispresleypedia.com   Contact  • Webmaster  

Copyright ©    Elvis, Elvis Presley and Heartbreak Hotel are registered trademarks of Elvis Presley Enterprises.